Imagine how lovely it would be if we could clean up the grime on our planet as we clean up the grime in our teeth! Yes, you read that correctly! It would no longer be a fantasy if we made healthier choices in the little things in life. One such choice is switching to a bamboo toothbrush. As the name itself suggests, it is a brush whose handle is made of bamboo, and the bristles are either composed of nylon or other natural fibers. Thus, switching to one reduces the use of plastic, making them more environmentally friendly.
However, one can also argue about the nylon bristles used in such toothbrushes not being biodegradable, which kind of beats the point of buying an organic brush in the first place, right? Fortunately, we do have brands such as BECO that provide us with eco-friendly bamboo toothbrushes whose bristles are infused with charcoal and contain 0% plastic.
If you're somebody who's still living under a rock and isn't aware of the harmful consequences of using plastic products, then let this be a reminder that on average, we humans produce more than 360 million metric tonnes of plastic globally every year! the majority of which end up in landfills. So just to reiterate what we've already known for years now, plastic brushes are both non-biodegradable and extremely difficult to recycle! Therefore, by using them, we are only fostering a harmful environment for our children and grandchildren to live in. This is where a bamboo toothbrush comes into the picture because it renders a healthy environment for all living beings.
Bamboo toothbrushes have become increasingly popular in recent years as people look for more sustainable alternatives to plastic toothbrushes. But are bamboo toothbrushes good for the environment? Let's take a closer look.
The plastic toothbrushes can take hundreds of years to decompose and can end up in landfills, oceans, and other natural environments, causing harm to wildlife and contributing to the global plastic pollution crisis.
Bamboo toothbrushes, on the other hand, are made from a renewable resource and are biodegradable, which means they can break down naturally and won't contribute to long-term pollution. Additionally, bamboo is a fast-growing plant that requires less water and pesticides than other crops, making it a more environmentally friendly choice.
However, not all bamboo toothbrushes are created equal. Some brands use bristles made from nylon, which is a type of plastic, while others use natural materials such as boar hair or plant-based fibers. It's important to check the packaging or product description to ensure that the toothbrush you're buying is truly eco-friendly.
In case you're wondering if the benefits of bamboo toothbrushes are as prominent as those of plastic ones, then rest assured that they 100% are. Moreover, these organic toothbrushes let you take care of your dental hygiene without feeling any remorse for hurting Mother Earth. After all, it is these little acts of kindness that we perform in the everyday trivialities of life that truly feed our souls. And in this case, your act will feed the earth's soul too by using a bamboo toothbrush daily. On the whole, you become happier because you have a happier environment to thrive in. All this while also perpetuating a haven for your kids to live in.
If you're still not convinced, let us take you through a whole list of benefits of switching to an organic bamboo toothbrush, the side effects of using a plastic toothbrush, and the things to consider while purchasing a good toothbrush! Sounds exciting? Here we will cover about why switch to bamboo toothbrush!
Why Should You Switch To Bamboo Toothbrushes?
- Regular usage of bamboo toothbrushes reduces the unnecessary waste that is dumped on our planet while providing the same level of cleaning as a plastic brush.
- Bamboo has natural antifungal properties, which help prevent harmful microorganisms from entering our teeth. Thus, providing us with long-term protection.
- Bamboo plants are easy to grow and cultivate. They do not require harmful fertilizers and pesticides to thrive. Moreover, they can be grown continuously throughout the year.
- Bamboo stems are cut and processed without the use of virulent compounds. This makes them completely safe for our teeth. This makes using a toothbrush made of bamboo a far healthier choice. Fun fact: bamboo shoots are edible and are eaten in several Asian and African cultures. Now you know why! (wink)
- Organic bamboo toothbrushes are more convenient to recycle, reuse, and compost.
- A bamboo toothbrush is as durable as a plastic one.
The Dark Side of Using a Plastic Toothbrush
- Putting plastic toothbrushes in your mouth is poisonous because the product is composed of indigestible substances such as petroleum, rubber, and nylon.
- Unlike a bamboo toothbrush, a plastic toothbrush is non-biodegradable, hence a threat to the environment. They can take up to 500 years to decompose, which means that they will release toxic gases into the atmosphere and other harmful elements into the soil for as long as they live.
- They are a major cause of the depletion of non-renewable resources such as petroleum.
- Unlike a bamboo toothbrush, a plastic toothbrush is essentially a compact object, hence non-recyclable. They cannot be put into most industrial recycling machinery, and therefore, every ounce of plastic used in creating a toothbrush is lost forever.
- Apart from causing environmental degradation, it is also known to cause diseases such as cancer, immunity disorder, and infertility.
Things To Consider While Buying A Good Toothbrush
- Make sure your toothbrush is biodegradable, like a BECO wooden toothbrush. You don't want the plastic to be the first thing you touch in the morning! Just look up on the internet and you'll find several bamboo toothbrushes online. As niche as they may sound, they are pretty accessible.
- Ensure that the quality of the bristles meets your dental requirements. Bristles that are too hard can cause bleeding in your gums, while those that are too soft might not clean up every little bit of dirt residing in your mouth. And if you want to upgrade your teeth-brushing experience even further, some of the best bamboo toothbrushes in India come with charcoal-infused
- The head of the bamboo toothbrush should be of adequate size for you to swiftly move it around in your oral cavity without suffocating your mouth. Usually, toothbrushes with smaller heads are recommended for both adults and children.
- Last but not least, purchasing a toothbrush with a preferred shape of handle will be an add-on. It will feel more personalized, and you'll be at ease knowing that every little detail of your toothbrush, including its handle, is as per your preference.
You know how that saying goes, right? Little drops of water and little grains of sand make the mighty ocean and the pleasant land. We can adopt minor choices that fit into our everyday schedule to make a greater impact, such as switching to natural toothbrushes made of bamboo. You might not see the results right away, but when each one of us plays our part responsibly, all our minor choices will amalgamate to make a far greater and better impact on our lives in the larger scheme of things.
So, what are you still waiting for? One of the best ways to put the above thought into action would be to switch to a bamboo toothbrush for daily use. They aren't as expensive as they may sound, and you can easily find best organic toothbrush online. Remember, a greener life equates to happier smiles! So, plastic or planet? The choice is yours.
Should I switch to a bamboo toothbrush?
Yes. Switching to this toothbrush is a healthier choice because bamboo is environmentally friendly.
Why is a bamboo toothbrush better than a plastic one?
Unlike plastic toothbrushes, these are better because bamboo is biodegradable and can decompose. They also contain natural anti-microbial properties.
Are wooden toothbrushes better?
Yes. They are better than plastic toothbrushes because they are biodegradable.